Currently selecting servers for Oracle Linux on Oracle VM. Looks like we are choosing Rack rather than Blade as the blades don’t have the networking we need for Oracle RAC. Choosing Gen8 as we have it engineered – Gen9 not on the support matrix yet.
What’s new in Gen 8 version
· Eliminate infrastructure complexity with HP OneView 1.10. Now available on all HP ProLiant DL Gen8 Servers!
· Increased performance of up to 35%* at the same or lower power levels with the new Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 v2 processors *Aug 2013. Performance results per Intel testing
· GPU support in primary and secondary risers to accelerate compute and enable large-data processing for a wide array of applications
· New HP Common Slot Power Supplies providing 96% server power efficiency, and new infrastructure power efficiencies with 277VAC and 380VDC input voltages
· HP SmartMemory for 16.6%* better memory performance *June 2013. HP SmartMemory at 1866MHz @2 DPC vs. 1600MHz @2 DPC
· Up to 4x* workload performance with HP SmartCache, a controller-based caching solution that caches hot data onto lower latency SSDs *Feb 2013. Whitepaper TC1211951
Improved Capacity and Performance on Compute and Storage
Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 v2 product family offers increased performance, improved security and efficiency; ideal for demanding workloads.
HP SmartMemory, with speeds up to 1866MHz, prevents data loss and downtime with enhanced error handling while improving workload performance and power efficiency.
GPU compute support to maximize performance
HP SmartCache, a controller-based caching solution, caches hot data onto lower latency SSDs providing up to 4x better workload performance.* *Feb. 2013, Performance and config as outlined in Whitepaper TC1211951
Unlock your Infrastructure’s Potential with HP’s Easy-to-Use Integrated Management and Support
HP iLO Management Engine is a complete set of embedded features, standard on all ProLiant Gen8 servers. Includes HP iLO, HP Agentless Management, HP Active Health System, HP Intelligent Provisioning, and HP Embedded Remote Support.
HP Insight Online with HP remote support provides 24X7 remote monitoring and anywhere, anytime personalized access to your IT and support status.
HP Smart Update, including HP SUM, SPP and other products, reduces deployment time and update complexity by systematically and securely updating server infrastructure in the data center; in most cases the downtime is limited to a single reboot.
Energy Efficiency by Design
HP Common Slot Power Supplies provide a new level of efficiency with 80 PLUS Titanium certification (96%) and new infrastructure power efficiencies with 277VAC and 380VDC input voltages.
First in industry to include 3D array of temperature sensors to help precisely control server fans to direct cooling and reduce unnecessary fan power, saving on cooling costs.
ENERGY STAR® qualified server configurations illustrate HP’s continued commitment to helping customers conserve energy and save money.
Redefining the Customer Experience with HP ProActive Insight Architecture
User-inspired design features that prevent data loss, reduce downtime, and improve serviceability include HP SmartDrives, HP Smart Socket guides, "Easy Install" Rail kit options, and tool-less access to components.
Integrated Lifecycle Automation provides a breakthrough in Converged Infrastructure management with simplified provisioning, proactive health monitoring and alerting, and automated firmware and system software maintenance.
Dynamic Workload Acceleration converges storage, compute, and I/O to turbo-charge performance and resiliency while eliminating bottlenecks.
Automated Energy Optimization reclaims space, power, and cooling resources needed for workloads and eliminates costly errors caused by manual operation activities in the data center.